Monday, July 20, 2009

Cousin Peg ("Peg o' My Heart")


Here's a photo of my cousin Peggy (AKA Peg, Meg, Meggie, and more). On a previous post I told how her son, Paddy (now Fr. Pat), is the one who taught me how to play the guitar. We spent untold hours playing and singing at his house which was right across the street from our house. Through it all, Peggy never complained. She was -- and is -- a singer herself. Some of my earliest memories of family gatherings were of Peg and her sisters dressing up in the men-folk's army fatigues and singing "close harmonies" just like the Andrews Sisters. (Watch them below.) They not only had the songs down pat, but they had all the moves, too. They were terrific! Whenever Paddy and I played for family members, we'd seem (to her) to spend an inordinate amount of time tuning our guitars -- we wanted the sound to be right. Peggy would say: "Why do you have to do that? You never see them doing that on TV! Can't you just play?" For years, Peg has been a faithful follower of Bobby Byrne and she invariably gets up to do a few numbers during his show. She's a real show-stopper!

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe we missed you and Liz on Sunday. We heard about it on Tuesday! We won't miss the 16th! I loved your comments about Meggie and her sisters. They really did sound like the Andrews and they were always fun to listen to. (Meggie & Ann were never as tall as the Andrews though) And the comment about tuning the guitars had me laughing out loud! She really said that EVERY SINGLE time! (Truth be known-I was there -you really did take a long time haha) Are you sure you didn't do it SOME time just to get a rise out of her? If you did I'm sure it was Pat's idea! haha) Thanks Greg for sharing your thoughts and memories. It was fun! Love to Liz.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see you on the 16th. It'll be such fun!
    Love to all,
    GR3G

    ReplyDelete